I made up a string figure. Actually, I stumbled upon it while fiddling with "Little Fish."
But that's OK, since lots of string figures are made up that way. I wonder if anybody else
has made it before.
In any case, it looks kind of like an alien, or maybe a beetle.
Now, this looks rather intimidating. It's not. It won't look as bad after I put lots of pictures in here. :)
You can undo the figure by pulling apart the two central strings.
- Make "Little Fish."
- Catch the sides of the "W" on the back of your thumbs.
- Release all the index loops (slide them off your index finger).
- Tip the index fingers into the thumb loops from the top, and pick up the double near thumb strings using the back of the index fingers.
- Release the thumb loops and extend as in "Little Fish."
- Now there is a new, single-stringed "W." Catch the sides of the "W" on the backs of your thumbs.
- Release all the index loops.
- Transfer the thumb loops to your index fingers.
- Go under all the loops and get the far little finger string with the thumbs.
- Release the little finger loops.
- Go under the index loops with your little fingers to get the far thumb strings.
- Using your right index finger and thumb, pick up the left palm string, pulling it through the left index loop. Take your left thumb and little finger out of their loops.
- Now put your left thumb and little finger back into the loop that your right hand is holding. The left palm string should now be on top of the left index loop.
- Repeat the previous two steps with the right palm string.
- Using your right index finger and thumb, pick up the left index loop. Put your whole left hand into the loop and slide it down to your wrist.
- Repeat the previous step with the right index loop.
- Using your right index finger and thumb, pinch together the far left thumb string and the near left little finger string. Take your left hand out of all its loops, including the wrist loop.
- Put the left thumb and little finger back into their loops. The wrist loop should be hanging in front of the left hand. Do not pull the string taut.
- Repeat the previous two steps on the right hand.
- Now you want to rotate the figure around.
- Transfer the right thumb loop onto the right index finger.
- Transfer the left thumb loop onto the right thumb.
- Transfer the left little finger loop onto the left thumb.
- Transfer the right little finger loop onto the left little finger.
- Transfer the right index loop onto the right little finger.
- Extend the figure. The top of the figure is to your left; the bottom of the figure is to your right. The eyes are near the middle, and the body is below the eyes.
by Dominic Yu
| contact me!
| Back to Main Page
| last modified Sunday 971005